Welcome to our unaccompanied tours (UT) blog, Foggy Bottom Rambles! We can share information, programs, and resources quickly with you and since blogs are a two way street, we (and the other readers) can hear from you. What's in a name you say? This blog reflects how we (back here in DC, Foggy Bottom area) provide information (rambles) to you. Find websites and information, upcoming webinars, programs and events. FLO does not endorse organizations or companies linked-to in this blog, the views they express, or the products/services they offer. Let us know what you think: contribute to the blog or email us at FLOAskUT@state.gov.

Friday, April 2, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me?

If you're heading to the Embassy in Baghdad, here's a tip from a colleague about calling family in the US: "The phone service to the US works great, so you can just use a 1 cent a minute domestic calling card, and just stick to the regular phones, which can be more convenient and comfortable. But either option (Skype, Vonage, calling card) you prefer should work fine."

Here's another comment about phones: "I have my own Vonage phone I take with me to every post. I use it in my room here and it works great.  I find it a lot easier to have family and friends call me for free anytime."

And another: "I use Skype mainly for the video to accompany the audio. It's nice to see my family when we're talking.  At post, we have plenty of bandwidth most of the time.  The evening tend to be slower when everyone is online making calls or downloading music or movies.  When this happens I just turn off the video part and just talk."
What do you think about calling cards, phone plans, etc.?

No comments:

Post a Comment