Welcome to our unaccompanied tours (UT) blog, Foggy Bottom Rambles! We can share information, programs, and resources quickly with you and since blogs are a two way street, we (and the other readers) can hear from you. What's in a name you say? This blog reflects how we (back here in DC, Foggy Bottom area) provide information (rambles) to you. Find websites and information, upcoming webinars, programs and events. FLO does not endorse organizations or companies linked-to in this blog, the views they express, or the products/services they offer. Let us know what you think: contribute to the blog or email us at FLOAskUT@state.gov.

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Employment Opportunity in FLO

If you are in the DC area, you may be interested in applying for the Program Specialist, Community Liaison Office (CLO) Program, GS-11 position in the Family Liaison Office (FLO). The incumbent of this position is responsible for providing a wide range of program assistance to the CLO program through training, programmatic outreach, administrative and technical support, and development and maintenance of resources to guide and support CLO staff at more than 200 missions overseas. 
Application deadline extended to Friday, September 21, 2018. 

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Family Member Employment Corner

USAJOBS.gov - Using Search Filters for NCE
If you have earned Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) while working overseas, you can use filters on USAJOBS.gov to find vacancies that are NCE eligible. In the "Who May Apply" section of the job announcement, look for positions open to “Former Overseas Employees.” Also, try these key words that may generate additional vacant positions: non-competitive eligible, special hiring authorities, Peace Corps, military spouses, EO 12721, and CFR 315.608.

Family Member Employment Q&A
Question: If you have previously worked in a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a temporary position overseas, you may have earned Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE), but did you earn Civil Service (CS) tenure?

Answer: No. An FMA is a Limited Non-Career Appointment (LNA) that allows you to earn federal service time, but does not confer tenure. However, NCE does allow you to apply non-competitively for CS positions in the competitive service in which you can become tenured. To earn tenure in the CS, you must first be hired in a career-conditional position for at least three years in the United States. Former CS employees who were hired under a career-conditional appointment or who had a tenured position before going overseas are eligible for positions advertised as “Reinstatement Eligible.” (See FLO’s employment FAQs to learn more about reinstatement.) If you are not eligible for reinstatement, you can find NCE, contractor, and private sector positions in The Network, FLO’s email subscription service. Subscribe by emailing FLONetwork@state.gov.

Have more family member employment questions? Check out our frequently asked questions. 

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

FLO Website Feature: UT Resources

FLO’s Unaccompanied Tours (UT) team provides a number of services and resources for employees and families preparing for, serving in, or returning from an assignment to an unaccompanied post. You will find information on the children’s certificates and medals of recognition program, a link to the Foggy Bottom Rambles blog, age-appropriate workbooks for children, and more. You can also download the Decision Tree, a guide to help you decide where your family should live during a UT.

Visit FLO’s UT webpage today. Email Questions to FLOAskUT@state.gov.

Monday, August 6, 2018

FLO Website Feature:  Members of Household:
A Member of Household (MOH) is an individual who accompanies or joins a sponsoring employee at a U.S. mission abroad. An MOHs is not on the employee’s travel orders but needs to be officially declared and approved by the Chief of Mission as part of his/her household. It is important for employees and others to understand that certain privileges and allowances that are extended to EFMs as defined by laws, regulations, and interpretations, often cannot be extended to those who are not on the employee’s travel orders. It is highly recommended that an MOH have adequate medical and evacuation insurance when living overseas. To learn more, go to FLO’s Members of Household webpage