The two recent “Parenting During an Unaccompanied Tour” tele
conferences generated excellent comments and
participation from more than 30 different individuals calling in from all over
the world! Thank you for your support!
Below is a compilation of suggestions and tips presented by your fellow colleagues and family members during the sessions. Please remember, these are suggestions; choose the ones that work best for you.
- · Use a globe of the world to show where mommy/daddy is staying
- · Use FaceTime, Skype or other communication means for frequent calling
- · Have the parent that is away hold the camera or take pictures of their new living arrangements
- · Create a family web page/blog
- · Make a photo book and mail it. This can work for either parent
- · For serious questions set up a specific time to talk.
- · Make a big deal about reunions! Make countdown signs.
Splurge a little
--the parent staying with children arranges special dinners and weekends away with them
- · The parent that has been gone arranges special “date time” with the child when everyone is united, during R&R and at the end of the tour
- · Read with your children the books When Mommy Travels or When Daddy Travels by Harriet Ziefert