Welcome to our unaccompanied tours (UT) blog, Foggy Bottom Rambles! We can share information, programs, and resources quickly with you and since blogs are a two way street, we (and the other readers) can hear from you. What's in a name you say? This blog reflects how we (back here in DC, Foggy Bottom area) provide information (rambles) to you. Find websites and information, upcoming webinars, programs and events. FLO does not endorse organizations or companies linked-to in this blog, the views they express, or the products/services they offer. Let us know what you think: contribute to the blog or email us at FLOAskUT@state.gov.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Remember back when you were in college...?

If you find yourself living in a smaller space than anticipated (or hoped), here are two tips from colleague in Afghanistan who found creative ways to manage the space in her hooch:

"I bought four bed risers to lift up my bed.  Target had them for $9.99 and the risers were stronger than I initially thought.  Each riser holds about 300 lbs and I could still get under my bed in full gear when necessary.  You might be able to find the risers cheaper, but I just went with Target."  Note: when I went to the site Target was charging $14.99.

"I also bought some storage cubes that held most of my slacks and tops that didn't require ironing or just used them for stuff that didn't fit in my armoire.  I bought six and stacked them on the side of the hooch and used the top for books and DVDs."

I found dormbuys.com which is a site geared towards college dorm living, but the space saver section seems to have a lot of practical ideas and items.  What space saving tips do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment